Kathryn and I are trying to figure out our division of labor now that we’re embarking on life as digital nomads.
Asking around, it seems like other traveling couples either
(1) have one person that does all the trip research/planning/organization, or
(2) each partner has responsibilities they take care of, and these stay the same each time the couple take a trip.
Prior to embarking on a life of travel, I’ve been the one who has made all our travel arrangements and Kathryn has picked up the slack in other areas of our lives together (and takes care of washing my dirty undies in hotel bathrooms while we’re on the road, lol!).
Now that we’re going to be traveling more frequently, it makes sense that we both figure out our strengths when it comes to trip prep and staying organized on the road.
Here are a few things we’ve decided on so far. If you travel with a partner, I’d love to know what you’ve figured out that works for you? Please tell us your tips in the comments! (or your complaints about what your partner doesn’t do!)
What’s Kathryn is good at –
– Keeping track of income and expenses.
– When we need to find an apartment, monitoring craigslist and making a short list.
– Keeping the apartment neat and clean.
– Keeping track of travel documents and itinerary e.g., sending flight and car rental confirmations to Trip It.
– Keeping our money secure.
What Kate is good at –
– Processing the apartment short list and taking it from there (interviewing with the owner/lease holder via Skype and negotiating).
– Researching what a good value apartment costs in a particular location and deciding on a budget for each destination.
– Figuring out SIM card options and taking care of this.
– Finding the cheapest flights.
– Researching the best transport options for a location e.g., getting from the airport, public transport, car rentals.
What’s your division of labor when you’re planning a trip and when you’re on the road?